Monday, December 19, 2011

My Antonia

How would My Ántonia be different if it were told from Ántonia's perspective?
If the story was told from Antonia's perspective, i do not think that very much would change. The outcomes and hardships would be different because they would be more in the point of Antonia and not of Jim. However the overall theme would be the same. Both Jim and Antonia would still have to overcome all the hardships in their childhood.


How effective is Cather, a woman, at narrating a story from the point of view of a man? Does Jim sound like a man writing, or does the narrative sound like a woman pretending to be a man?
I think that Willa Cather does an excellent job at narrating My Antonia. Jim sounds like a man writing, even though he sounds calm, and very certain of his thoughts, he sounds very carefree.


Why do you think Jim changed the title from Antonia to My Antonia?

I think he changed it to show how important Antonia was/is in his life, that she was the main reason he became the person he ended up being.

No comments:

Post a Comment